The holiday season at SHADLE FARM is synonymous with festive gatherings, cozy moments, and, of course, indulging in our favorite adult beverages.
Among the classics, Baileys Irish Cream has long held its place as a cult favorite. In this blog post, we’ll delve into the rich history of Baileys, explore how to make it vegan and low-sugar, and guide you through the process of crafting this beloved treat from scratch for a unique holiday experience.
History of Baileys Irish Cream:
Baileys Irish Cream made its debut in 1974, blending Irish whiskey, cream, and a touch of cocoa and vanilla. Its smooth and velvety texture, combined with a delightful flavor profile, quickly elevated it to an iconic status among liqueurs. Originating in Dublin, Ireland, Baileys has become a global sensation, synonymous with holiday celebrations and cozy evenings by the fire. ( original Baileys contain milk, creme and dairy & loads of refined sugar)
Making Baileys Vegan:
To cater to a diverse range of preferences and dietary needs, you can give your homemade Baileys a vegan twist. Swap out traditional dairy cream for alternatives like almond, coconut, or oat milk. Consider using vegan-friendly Irish whiskey, ensuring every sip is cruelty-free and equally delicious. Experiment with plant-based sweeteners to maintain the signature sweetness without compromising on flavor.
Crafting a Low-Sugar Version:
For those looking to indulge while keeping an eye on their sugar intake, crafting a low-sugar Baileys is the way to go. Opt for sugar alternatives like monk fruit, coconut sugar or stevia to sweeten your concoction. Additionally, control the sweetness by adjusting the quantity of sweetener to suit your taste buds. The result? A guilt-free, lower-calorie version of the classic holiday libation.
Homemade Baileys Recipe:
- 1 cup Irish whiskey of choice
- 1 can of coconut milk (full fat, 13.5 oz can)
- 1 cup vegan creamer (almond, coconut, or oat milk)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sweetener of choice, to taste, we prefer 1/4 cup Maple Syrup)
- Optional: a pinch of sea salt for enhanced flavor
- Cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon for garnish
- In a blender, combine the whiskey and the rest of ingredients in a blender
- Blend until smooth and well combined.
- Taste and adjust sweetness if necessary.
- Pour the mixture into a bottle or jar, adding a pinch of sea salt for depth if desired.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight to let the flavors meld.
- Shake well before serving over ice, in coffee, or as a festive addition to your favorite holiday desserts.
This holiday season, elevate your festivities by revamping the classic Baileys Irish Cream with a vegan and low-sugar twist. By crafting this beloved beverage from scratch, you not only control the ingredients but also add a personal touch to your celebrations. Cheers to a season filled with warmth, joy, and a delicious homemade Baileys in hand!
Ami & Mark
people make the difference
Join the #ZenFluencer fam
I am Ami. Passionate vegan & adventurer. As a healer, chef, animal lover, and longevity enthusiast, I’m here to explore every facet of life with you.